Epping Fire Department
Winter Safety Tips For Epping
Winter is coming sooner than we think, maybe even faster than many of us will acknowledge to. As winter approaches, I wanted to touch up on some safety items as we start to hibernate from the blustery cold and snow.
I know I mentioned it in my last column, and I will mention it again. Heating systems should be serviced and maintained on a yearly basis to insure proper function and operation which will save you all money in the long run. Chimneys should be cleaned as well. I recommend a professional for both, to get the job properly done. Always put your ashes from fireplaces and woodstoves in a metal container and discard them in a snow bank away from the house.
Soon there will be snow and I wanted to remind everyone to keep outside vents, walkways and driveways cleared from snow. Always have a Carbon monoxide detector on each floor as the winter tends to pose more of a threat to this odorless and colorless killer. If you need to use a generator, Please keep it outside and the exhaust away from any windows or doors. A generator can produce a lethal dose of Carbon Monoxide in just seconds if inside or close to the buildings.
The best time to check your smoke and Carbon monoxide detectors is monthly, and when we turn the clocks back, which will be on November 4th. You should also change your batteries in your detectors during daylight savings time. Newer detectors have a 10-year replacement battery, however you should still test it every month and change out any detector that is over 10 years old. Newer homes should be hard wired with a battery backup. You can call the station if you need help or have questions on any detectors.
As we start to celebrate the upcoming holidays, I want everyone to enjoy it on a safe level with their families and friends. Thanksgiving is a big day for this and The Epping Fire Department would like to remind people that 49 percent of all house fires are started by cooking. (NFPA statistics). If you plan to deep fry anything such as a turkey or goose, then it should be outside away from any building (not in your garage or shed!).
Christmas trees are a great way to celebrate the holidays and live trees should be watered daily. Whether you use a fake or real tree, please use UL listed lights and 3-prong extension cords if possible. Make sure to use a power supply strip so you don’t overload your electrical circuits. If you celebrate other Great holidays with candles, please be alert to where you burn them and never leave unattended for any length of time. Replace any old frayed cords and lights.
Speaking of the Holidays, You can see the jolly old guy and get some candy after Thanksgiving. There will be a Toy drive at Walmart on November 24th and 25th. The Department pairs up with the Brentwood Fire Department to collect toys for both towns for unfortunate families. If you would like to donate an unwrapped toy, please stop by.
Santa will visit Epping neighborhoods with the help of the Epping Fire Department on December 22nd, starting at 3:00 pm.
As winter starts to dump snow to the region, I want everyone to drive safely and if you have a fire hydrant close by, keep it shoveled out. This will save seconds on our response in the event of a fire. Epping Firefighters work hard after every storm to keep the hydrants cleared and with your help we can all be fire safe.
Epping Fire Department would like everyone to have a great Holiday season and always know we are here for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!!
Lieutenant Paul St Cyr
Fire Prevention Officer and 9-11 Liaison.
Burn Permits are required for all outside burning. Permits will be issued at the fire station seven days a week, 6:00 am-6:00 pm. Permits Will Not be issued when fire danger is class 3 or above.
If you have any questions contact the Fire Department at 679-5446.
For Daily Fire Danger and an explanation of the different danger levels, please follow the link http://www.nhdfl.org/fire-control-and-law-enforcement/daily-fire-danger.aspx